Monday 30 August 2010

Burton Agnes, Harpham, Kilham walk. (30 August 2010)




I parked up at Burton Agnes at just gone nine o’clock for a short local, morning walk, not wanting to brave the Bank Holiday Monday traffic for too long a drive. The day was windy and overcast, but dry.

I first walked this route in August 1996. It’s got to be said that the paths are in a much better condition now than they were then, with the signage generally good and the way usually clear on the ground. I believe this is a general trend and certainly so in the East Riding.

After visiting Harpham and Lowthorpe Beck the route debunks onto the lay-by cum picnic area at Bracey Bridge. I’m told that this spot is a notorious dogging venue, but today, not a canine in sight. Seems a strange place for a terrier show… Any thoughts of a cup of tea and a bacon butty were quickly dispelled when: I’d left my cash at home.

The walk up to Kilham, following the shallow valley of Lowthorpe Beck and back over the low Wold to Burton Agnes was pleasant, if unspectacular, throughout. The long views were somewhat limited by the general gloom, although the wind farm at Lissett was a prominent and impressive feature.

Today’s walk was of about seven miles. I passed one large group of walkers near Kilham.


Burton Agnes map

No comments:

Post a Comment