Sunday 8 August 2010

N Frodingham, Foston, Brigham, Hempholme Walk



It’s a couple of weeks since my Warter outing: the blisters have just healed. Must remember to carry plasters and dressings next time I experiment with boot inserts… We live an learn.

I didn’t want to tempt fate and try anything too energetic today. A walk in the flatlands of Holderness was the order of the day. Although I’ve lived in the area for many years and, where I hit tarmac I knew the roads well, I’ve never actually walked any of today’s paths. Today was an odd mix of the new and the familiar.

I parked up in North Frodingham and walked north along a green lane towards Foston on the Wolds. I would guess the lane would be muddy after rain; it got progressively rougher before petering to a narrow footpath and crossing a couple of water courses into the southern tip of the village near an attractive old mill.

A hare practically ran into me on the otherwise quiet lane to Brigham, near a recently squashed grass snake: when did I last see a live one?

A family of swans graced the canal at Brigham, at the start of a three mile walk down the navigation. The canal merges with Frodingham Beck, a branch of the canal, and, a short distance further, with the River Hull at West Beck. The water and drainage channels are somewhat complicated in these parts, the area hovers around sea level and the map is littered with Ings and Carrs: it must have had a very soggy history.  

Bethell’s Bridge sports lots of boats in varying degrees of upkeep. I doubt some have moved in years. Instead, the moorings are decorated with sheds and small gardens. More caravaners than corsairs…

Just south of the bridge, whilst passing the large wooded area at Struncheon Hill Farm, I almost stood on a vole.

The river was crossed at the lock north of Top Hill Low and left for a footpath to the hamlet of Hempholme. There the route followed a line of old gravel workings; long abandoned and now a series of bonny, well wooded ponds and small lakes; much of the way back to North Frodingham

Today’s walk was eight miles in hot and humid weather. The route was much more rewarding than I’d anticipated and the paths, although largely unfrequented, were clear and well marked throughout. Birds and water fowl were plentiful and the water was everywhere teeming with fish. Did I mention the hare and vole? 




No comments:

Post a Comment