Tuesday 26 May 2009

That was the walk that was…

Well, it’s already a month since my last outing. "The Inn Way…to the Yorkshire Dales” route was a good walk too. Large sections were superb, particularly the first two legs. I must try to wangle a long weekend and walk the last couple of legs back to Grassington.

If there was a criticism it’s that there was perhaps a shade too much road walking, especially on the Askrigg to Reeth section. That said, the roads were very quiet and the landscape superb, even in driving rain and mist. It’s also difficult to see any obvious alternative on the map using established paths and tracks.

I was generally pleased with my physical performance, although a loss of condition over winter was all too obvious. I got one small blister on a big toe and sprouted spotty loins, presumably from walking in waterproofs. I otherwise survived unscathed.

My Meindl boots continued to disappoint. They leak and the heel is again becoming detached from the main body of the boot. They will have to be replaced soon – not by another pair of Meindls. Considering their cost and the fact that they’ve already had one factory repair, only 350 miles of use is abysmal performance: it works out at around 37p a mile.

I’ve used Pacerpoles for a year or so now and they’re now second nature. Despite looking faintly ridiculous to a casual observer I now consider them to be essential kit. They should come with hazard lights, however, to warn and protect bystanders and passers by: God knows how I’ve not skewered some other hapless rambler.

I’ve not yet decided on the year’s main project. I still fancy a trip to Bowness to walk the Windermere Way as a starter. It would be possible to arrange that as a single base trek, allowing Rita to have a (non-walking) break too. I’ll have to negotiate a longer solo expedition, probably in September. Maybe another of Mark Reid’s walks, “The Inn Way… to the English Lake District”.

No comments:

Post a Comment